[Gpdd] CARE: Trimming crests

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 26 13:33:56 EST 2010

I learned an important lesson trimming Puff''s extensive and exotic forelock, the gift of her Peruvian and Abyssinian ancestors. It occurred to me that she might have difficulty seeing through all that hair. And, in the dark, she negociates her cage with nary a misstep. Well, sure enough, when I trimmed the hair above her eyes, she started spooking at sudden movements, which she'd never done before! My guess is that her sight had been filtered through her crest hairs. Now we're working on getting used to all kinds of movement near or over her cage. The lesson is, if you have difficulty seeing your piggie's eyes, they probably can't see you very well either. Be sure to shield their eyes with your other hand while trimming!

Joanie