[Gpdd] HEALTH: Worried about Elder Piggie Audrey --- What's GoingOn?

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 30 18:35:46 EST 2010

Pat,

Poor Audrey. She could, as you say, be a very old piggy indeed and, in my
experience, elderly piggies often do lose weight. They sleep more which
leaves less eating time and, like in humans, I believe the appetite becomes
less acute as they age.

You are doing the right thing in supplementing her food with the syringe but
it is a shame that you do not have anyone who could check her teeth without
an anaesthetic, which is a dangerous procedure at any age particularly in
the elderly. Piggies that eat less are, obviously, more prone to a dental
problem as they are not using their teeth as much as they should. I wonder
if anyone knows of a rodentologist in your area.

I have treated a piggy or two for hind leg paralysis using Osteocare Liquid,
which contains liquid calcium plus Vitamin D. If you can buy this product
where you are, the dose is 1ml. daily for 2 days, then 0.5ml for a few more
days. If you cannot get the liquid you can try giving 3 500mg. calcium + Vit
D, one every 8 hours on the first day. Make sure that the tablets contain
Vit D as this is important. On the second day give only 2 tablets, 12 hours
apart and on the next four days give just one tablet.

You will not harm Audrey with this remedy, even if this is not hind leg
paralysis as the Osteocare can be beneficial following a stroke, which is
another possibility.

Piggies can even trap nerves just as we can and if she was lying down for a
while, this could have happened.

As you cannot see the vet for a few days, continue with the painkiller. I
like children's liquid Nurofen for piggies. 0.4ml twice a day but whatever
you have is fine. A pain free piggy is more likely to eat. I also give
Metatone tonic, which helps improve the appetite but I believe that this is
unavailable outside of the UK.

If she should prove to have arthritis, I can highly recommend Potter's
Tabritis tablets if you are able to buy them. These helped my late Diamond
no end and are great for people too.

Paws crossed for Audrey. Keep her as warm as you can. Good luck.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.