[Gpdd] Health; Spooky has bloat

warmbreath at comcast.net warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Jul 21 13:27:58 EDT 2010

Hi M, So sorry you have another situation so soon. Is he getting
Simethecone? I know they recommend gripe water over there for gas , but for
the big bunny vets here and Switzerland all recommend simethicone.  It cant
be over dosed and it breaks the gas up into small bubbles. also it is very
helpful to hold him on your arm so that the arm keeps his belly warm and the
positioning should be that the butt is higher than the front as gas rises.
This is sold as Gas-X here for adults, the contents of gel caps can be drawn
out and given.  If using the pediatric drops that are sweetened make sure
its not with sorbitol as that makes gas worse.

If this is caused from a fecal impaction it will only help the gas given off
by the fecal mass, it wont cure the mass itself, other meds do that

If he is severely impacted then polyethylene glycol can be used  in very
small amounts, it draws the bodies water into the gut so a lot of water must
be given to support the water needs of the rest of the body like the
kidneys. It produces a liquid stool after 2 to 4 days, at that point keeping
him clean becomes the issue.  Please check with the docs on this one, I dont
know the dose and I haven't heard it mentioned in a long time so I dont know
if its currently considered safe.

When Manny got bound up I fed him wet romaine rather than pellet mash. When
I left him at the vet he had started producing quite a large amount of
pellets. But he didn't come home and I never got an answer on what really
got him.

It may be helpful to read the rabbit protocol found here
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html  one link is also given for the vet
version

So this is my knowledge, I hope it is helpful.Please get well soon Spooky
Sammy  loves you   so do I
love Sandy and Sammy