[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge: Melody (April 28, 2007 - June 15, 2010)

ME me at buddies.org
Tue Jun 15 23:42:00 EDT 2010

I really can't believe I'm writing this.  For almost a week, I've been so focused on Hope and getting her over her URI, and this morning she was pretty close to acting normally.  Melody has been a little "off" for the last few days, but nothing life-threatening, or so I thought.  She lost some weight (normal 890-900 grams, by Sunday she was down to 835), but she was still eating ... still, I started hand feeding her since she lost a little.  Her breathing was noisy, but she's had that for the last three years ... no nasal discharge.

I picked her up for her noon feeding at 12:15, but it was soon evident that the end was near.  I made her as comfortable as I could.  I knew she wanted to stay with me ... I think she was waiting for me to pick her up before she made her final journey.  She left half an hour later.

I know I shouldn't have favorites, but it would be hard not to think of her that way.  She loved being with people ... she was as excited about getting picked up and held as she was getting veggies.  She loved to cuddle and would just settle down and sometimes even fall asleep.  If she was across the whole cage (5 feet away), she'd cross the whole way just to get petted.

When we first introduced her and Harmony to the herd, they both got so excited that they popcorned across the whole cage.  When we gave them veggies, they continued to popcorn and couldn't grab any veggies ... they were moving too much.  Even to this day, every once in awhile, they'd have a hard time getting hold of a veggie because of too much popcorning.

My little girl, who loved to chew on my glasses and hair, who was so excited about life, is gone so young.