[Gpdd] [Health]: Baby DJ has a heart murmur!

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 19:15:32 EDT 2010

Hi. We went to the vet today, and Baby DJ's vet says he has a really bad fungus infection (which we knew about when we got him) and a heart murmur.
She said that she's never seen a guinea pig with a heart murmur before, but she thinks that he will outgrow it.
Other than the fungus and the heart murmur, she said he looks good and that his lungs are clear.

She's doing a culture on the fungus, but treating him with ketoconazole 200 mg until we know exactly what we're dealing with.
Every piggie that we've gotten from that breeder (3 now) has some sort of fungus. It really is a shame!

Does anyone know anything about heart murmurs in baby guinea pigs?  He's about four weeks old now. He's not very active, but he seems bright and alert.
Thanks for any information that you can provide.

ME in New Smyrna Beach with the ever growing Cavy Collective