[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Fur lice, mange mites, and parasites

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Tue Sep 21 10:58:59 EDT 2010

Dear Ellen and the GPDD Family,

I am a pharmaceutical scientist as well as a rodentologists who has
operated a cavy rescue home for over 25 years. I am also a long term
student of Vedra Stanley-Spatcher of the Cambridge Cavy Trust. I plan on
sitting my British Association of Rodentology (BAR) Exams in June 2011.
The Icelandic volcano eruptions interfered in me taking my BAR exams
this past May. I volunteer as a cavy health advisor at Dr. Frank
Bonsack's veterinary surgery. I see between 10-15 patients/week as well
as being on 24 hour call. I always have mixed feelings when I post about
giving medications. I am writing to an international audience with
varying backgrounds in education and experiences. Also in other
countries different words are used for the same thing such as cc (cubic
centimeters) = mL (milliliters). Drug names are also different in each
country. That is why I put the generic name next to the brand name for
example Panacur = fenbendazole. Fenbendazole is the active ingredient in
Panacur. You can use instead of Panacur 2.5% Valbazen. Albendazole is
the generic name of the active ingredient in Valbazen. I always use 2.5%
Panacur. It is very important that you understand the units and
concentrations of the drugs that you give your cavies. IVERMECTIN WILL
KILL YOUR CAVY if you give too much. All veterinarians in the USA have
1.0% Ivermectin for injection. They also have Panacur for worming dogs.
The concentration of Panacur you need to use for cavies is 2.5%. A 2.5%
suspension of Panacur is equivalent to a 25 mg/ml of Panacur. You
administer 0.4 mL orally of the Panacur. Therefor the dose of Panacur
you are administering is 0.4 mL x 25 mg/mL = 10 mg of Fenbendazole.

Ivomec either regular or super contains 1.0% Ivermectin for injection.
It is given orally. It can also be given subcutaneously. It is used to
treat lice and mange mites as well as some internal parasites. The
protocol developed by Vedra Stanley-Spatcher to treat mange mites and
fur lice is to give orally 0.1 ml to cavies that are 3 months old. For
cavies that are 6 months old and older 0.2 mL of 1.0% Ivermectin can be
used. The treatment is to be repeated on day 10. In addition the cavy
must be shampooed in an anti-parasitic shampoo like Lice & Easy, Vet
Select or Adams flea and tick shampoo containing 0.15% pyrethrins but no
flea egg growth regulator or Adams shampoo with D-Limonene. The shampoo
must be left on for 10 minutes. Wrap the cavy in a towel after you have
lathered it up including working lather into the ears. Rinse with warm
water and towel dry. The shampooing must be repeated on day 8, 15 and
21. Then shampoo once a month. The purpose of the shampoo is to kill
adults and remove the sticky eggs. Also wash the cage and the entire
contents of the cage thoroughly and put fresh bedding in before putting
your freshly bathed cavy back into the cage.

To complete the treatment for both external and internal parasites Vedra
recommends to give one dose of 0.4 mL of 2.5% Panacur. Every 3 months
your cavy should be routinely wormed with 0.1 mL or 0.2 mL of 1.0%
Ivermectin and 0.4 mL of 2.5% Panacur.

Now in the USA we have a much larger variety of parasites then what is
found in the United Kingdom. Also out fruits and vegetables are grown
primarily in Mexico, central and south America. Therefore, our cavies
are subjected to a greater chance of parasitic infestation. I was taught
in 1980 to worm my cavies from a breeder who has 250 cavies and sells
her cavies worldwide. She taught me that the first time she treats her
cavies for parasites at the age of 3 months that she gives the 2 doses
of Ivermectin, the second dose 10 to 14 days after the first dose.
Additionally she gives 5 doses of 0.4 mL 2.5% Panacur. That is 0.4ml
once a day for 5 days in a row. This is only for the initial treatment
for internal and external parasites. She also does this with any new
stock she gets in that is in quarantine along with the baths with the
Adams shampoo for flea and ticks.

At Dr. Frank Bonsack's office I see cavies of all ages, with multiple
parasitic infections so for the initial parasitic treatment we give the
2 doses of Ivermectin and the 5 doses of Panacur. Along with the baths
this treatment protocol has saved many cavies lives and we have never
seen any ill effects. Also in Quesenberry and Carpenter's book Ferrets,
Rabbits and Rodents they recommend to give 20 mg of Panacur for 5 days
in a row. We are only using half that dose. Vedra's protocol has been
used for 30 years at the Guinea Pig Hospital in Cambridge.

Please if you have any questions contact me or your veterinarian. I can
not stress how important that the amount of Ivermectin you will be
giving is literally a tiny dose. 0.1 mL = 1 to 2 drops of 1.0% Ivermectin.

I am not a vet and my advice should not take the place of consulting
with a qualified veterinarian.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.