[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Pookie

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Aug 4 11:30:39 EDT 2011

Hi Amy,
It sounds like Pookie has fatty lipomas. These are very common in guinea
pigs especially on the underside and near the mammary glands. A fatty
lipoma is a benign tumor composed chiefly of fat cells. They are often
singular pea size growths or occur as several growths clumped together
especially if they occur in mammary tissue. I have seen hundreds of
cavies that have fatty lipomas and I have a 7.5 year old sow that has
had mammary lipomas since she was one year old. You can have your vet
take a look at them when you take Pookie in to be wormed. An experienced
vet will be able to tell if they are fatty lipomas by just feeling them.
The only definitive diagnosis is to do a needle biospy. I would not
worry about them as long as they do not keep on growing in size. I see
that Sandy has already introduced you to me. I am Ann. I am not a vet
but I volunteer for Dr. Frank Bonsack DVM of Adventure Animal Hospital
as a cavy health advisor. For over 25 years I have operated a private
cavy rescue and sanctuary called Piggyville.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.