[Gpdd] HEALTH: Apple's Vet Visit

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Feb 27 06:04:30 EST 2011

Pat,

I wonder if you and your vet were looking at the buccal separators that are
used for rabbits. These are much bigger than the dainty little devices used
for piggies. Lots of vets here do not have these and have to make do with
the ones for smaller rabbits.

The piggy sized ones remind me of the wire from a dismembered wooden clothes
peg ( do you have those old fashioned ones in Canada? ). My Rodentologist
towel wraps a piggy, lays him on his back on a pillow, inserts the wires and
has trimmed the teeth in seconds. He only sees piggies and must have done
this thousands of times so no piggy ever seems stressed by the procedure. I
have watched him do this many times. Practice makes perfect! The piggy is
immediately rewarded with something tasty, usually parsley, and has
forgotten all about the trim before they have reached the end of their
treat.

He never uses a dremel on piggies, but clips them and files as necessary so
there is no noise to upset a piggy. Some may try to work the device out of
their mouths but he quickly reinserts it and carries on.

Even I can insert the separators but, having small hands, need someone to
hold piggy whilst I attach the device. It is then possible to look much
further into the mouth and see what is going on.

I am so glad that oral thrush has been eliminated. It would be great if she
did not have to have the anaesthetic next week. Even using the correct
anaesthetic gas, Isoflurane or its sister Sevoflurane, is best avoided when
ever possible.

Best of luck with little Apple. Keep munching little girl so that we do not
have to worry about you.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.