[Gpdd] Health: my SPICY

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 15 07:56:53 EST 2011

Joanne,

Sorry for the delay in replying to your post about Spicy. I am so sorry that
she is unwell.

My elderly Rye has also developed Bumblefoot. There are many causes for this
condition but I suspect that in his case it has a fungal origin as he has
always been prone to fungal issues, which are exacerbated by our damp
climate in England. He often needs an anti-fungal shampoo.

It is many years since I have had to treat this condition.

I have been treating Rye with Dermisol cream, which helps but has not
cleared it up and, as chance would have it, I am awaiting delivery of a jar
of Happy Soles from Gorgeous Guineas., as mentioned by Ann.

We will both be able to test it out and compare results.

I have Rye on Vetbed, which I always use for infirm piggies. Barley likes it
too as he is arthritic. Here it is easy to buy from a petstore, where it is
cut to size from a huge roll, like carpet. I always used it for my dogs as
it is soft, warm and cosy. It washes well and lasts forever. I put a clean
piece in their pen every day, with extra newspaper underneath to absorb the
urine.

Rye has also lost weight although he eats really well and my Rodentologists
are at a a loss to explain this. Sometimes elderly piggies just do lose
weight for no apparent reason. Rye's even older father, Barley, continues to
be a LAPS piggy but Rye is quite thin.

My Rodentologists call it the "little old lady syndrome" or "little old
gentleman" as appropriate. Last week they did a check upon an eight year old
sow who was as light as a feather but still eating up well. My late lamented
Diamond lost weight in her sixth year although her appetite continued
unabated.

Wishing better health to your dear Spicy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.