[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Update on Kip

warmbreath warmbreath at comcast.net
Sat Jan 22 23:28:31 EST 2011

Here's my post from yesterday, apparently made it to Abbie but not the GPDD

Dear Abbie,  I am inclined to think that if Kip became congested soon after
finishing his course of antibiotics that his infection was not eradicated by
the Baytril. If that’s the case he should either be switched to another
antibiotic, or the Baytril dose increased and days lengthened,  and since
there are few antibiotics for piggies it may be advisable to do a culture
and sensitivity test in order to make sure the Baytril will kill that
particular bug or the correct one found ASAP.   If not no matter how much is
given it wont work and with piggies time is really important.  Because he
will be on an antibiotic for an extended period its important to support him
with really good probiotics, not just acidophilus, and Vit C foods and
supplements every day as well as cuddles and fresh bedding and that he has
an opportunity to get warmer or cooler as he feels the need.

I think it unlikely he is suddenly allergic to his bedding, plus you had him
on Baytril, he got better, then finished and was soon ill again, so this is
evidence of a bacterial infection that was inadequately dosed or the wrong
antibiotic was given. The vet should know this.    I have gone through this
cycle many times in my own life until a vet took the trouble to do the
culture and sensitivity and leave me on the new antibiotic for an entire
month, first time in years my sinus infection cleared up. I hope Kip wont
need so much but the proper procedure is needed to find out what will cure
him.

I hope Kip does well.  Best regards from Sandy and Shipwreck Sam