[Gpdd] Health: My SPICY

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sun Jan 23 13:49:11 EST 2011

Joanne,

Poor Spicy,

I am glad that she is eating up well. That's always a good sign.

There is a stale odour that is associated with a UTI and maybe that is what
you can smell. I am worried that she is "swollen" and it might be time for a
return visit to the vet. Has she had blood in her urine? Maybe she has a
stone in her urethra, which needs expelling.

As we have been discussing with Abbie and her Kip, maybe the dose of Baytril
needs to be increased. It is not an antibiotic that I use, preferring
paediatric Septrin as I have mentioned before, but vets often prescribe too
low a dose of anything for piggies.

Many years ago one of my very few UTI sufferers did not respond to the
antibiotic that she was given by my then vet. This was Marbocyl ( no doubt
given another name in the US ). He then tried her on an old fashioned
antibiotic called Tribrissen, which cleared it up and it never recurred.

My order from Gorgeous Guineas arrived this week and I have started using
the cream for Rye's Bumblefoot. Happy Soles has now been renamed F & M
cream. I prefer the original name with its connotations of joy. As it is
suspected that, in his case, it might have a fungal origin, he is also on a
course of griseofulvin, as recommended by Peter Gurney in his " Proper Care
of GPs" book. He seems not to be bothered by the condition of his feet and
continues to eat up really well but he is an elderly boy and enjoys the
pampering massage......and loves the taste of his medicine, which smells
like chocolate mint.

Get well soon Spicy.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.