[Gpdd] [HEALTH] : Does worming make outdoor grazing safe?

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jul 7 12:14:46 EDT 2011

Dear Joanie,
  Yes worming makes outdoor grazing safe as long as you worm your cavies
every 3 months. Think about the field that the hay you feed your cavies
was grown in? I bet it is very much like your back yard. Also the fields
that all the grains and hay that go into making cavy pellets are most
likely populated with a similar variety of animals. My back yard is a
lot smaller. I live on a river and am surrounded by conservation land.
My back yard is fenced but that does not keep out all the animals. I lay
on a beach towel with my piggys up against my body while they munch away
on the grass. I usually put a 2 foot high fence which I call a corral
around where I am playing with my piggys. This fence can be just rolled
up and stored under the deck. This is just in case they get startled and
run for protection into the higher grass. I have to be very alert for
hawks. I also grow all type of plants for my piggys under my bananas. I
cut these plants and grass and feed it to my piggys twice a day. I do
not wash off the grass with soap and water. My piggys have never had any
problems with external or internal parasites because I worm them every 3
months and give them a antiparasitic bath ever 1 to 2 months.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.