[Gpdd] HEALTH: Sooty - coccodiosis and abscess

Juwles juliejohnson12 at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 14 07:07:01 EDT 2011

Dear everyone,

I'm so sorry for my silence on this mind blowing issue.    It's been a tense
time, and my Sooty has been the most wonderful, brave boy through it all.
Since I last wrote, I've had Sooty on Bactrim 0.8ml/twice per day,
probiotics, vitamin C, Critical Care, and he survived that episode and has
had no further trouble with the diarrhoea.   Last test showed him clear of
cocciodosis.   Then, at the same time, this lump formed below the left eye.
He had a bit of milky stuff in the eye, but when I wiped the eye gently to
remove the milk, the milky coloured substance stayed.   I don't recall what
made me do this, but I actually pushed on the lump, and out of his eye and
his nostril came the most foulest smelling pus - one of the worst smells
I've ever smelled.    I did not take him to the vet, because there was
nothing they could think of doing that I wasn't doing already.   My whole
days were spent between Joey and Sooty (and nights).  I really thought Sooty
was going to leave me for the Bridge.

Anyway, the antibiotics were still given to him, and to that regimen I added
steaming him over hot water with vicks in it to help loosen the pus from his
nostril, then going through the awful task of pushing the big lump under the
eye until the pus came out.   Originally it came out the eye and the left
nostril, then it was just the left nostril.    As time went on, I noticed
loss of hair at the beginning of his eye, then it became whitish and soft &
spongy.  I only said to Mum yesterday, I felt if I got a needle and pricked
that lump that pus would come out.  I also gave him dried crusts off toasted
bread to keep him using his teeth so we didn't end up with a tooth problem
as well.

Well, this morning when we uncovered our boys, I noticed there was a
different spot with pus coming out of - and lo & behold it was that lump
that only last night I said I'd love to pop!  The pus kept coming out as we
gently applied pressure below the huge hole opening that was forming,  After
this, when just blood came out, we were hoping we had it all.  His eye was
back to normal, there was no lump any more.  I applied some hydrogen
peroxide, and put him back in his cage to rest & recouperate.   He was
bright & chirpy immediately!!   Sooty is not acting like Sooty used to.
He's a very happy piggy now!  He's eating pellets and the Timothy Hay and
it's as if there was never anything wrong with my baby!

I had to go out through the day, and on my return home I am able to tell you
all that that huge gaping whole has no more pus there, and there's no more
weeping from it.  I continue with the Bactrim and put an chlorhexidine
solution in to the opening to keep the area clear & clean.

I want to thank all the GPDD for your messages and advice.    I was
determined that this was one piggy I was not going to lose - and God also
answered my prayers (His ear must be hurting!)

I am so happy for Sooty ... but, wait until you read my next posting on
Joey, that's got me very unhappy.

Love & so very happy wheeps

Julie & her Crew