[Gpdd] CARE: Ari's guinea pigs

Dragonfly chaos.dragonfly at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 16:43:51 EDT 2011

I wanted to thank everyone for the wonderful advice I got, I really
appreciate it. I am not so good with words, it is hard work for me, that
is why I did not reply to everyone. But I am very grateful for the help,
I am sure my guinea pigs appreciate it too.

I have had them for three weeks. They act less scared now, they let me
touch them when I feed them their pellets and will come up to my fingers
to sniff them if I slowly put my hand in the cage. They run away if I
try to pet them when I've not just fed them pellets and neither will let
me pick them up at all. I have to shoo them into a box and pick up the
box to move them so I can clean their cage.

Should I keep trying to pet them? I do not want to scare them but I
really want to be able to hold them someday if that is possible.

I still do not know if they are happy, they are confusing to me
especially the different sounds they make. Are there sound recordings of
what sounds I should be worried about if I hear?

Neither of them eats the aspen shavings anymore, they do dig through
them a lot still. They want more pellets than what I've read they should
eat and they always eat up all their pellets very quickly. I feed them
1/4c (4 tbsp) in the evening. In the mornings they get a small plate of
vegetables and every other day another 1/4c of pellets. Is that enough
pellets? They act like they want much much more, but they were fed
unlimited pellets before. They do have unlimited hay, timothy, always. I
think the hay it has made their poops much less soft, more of the
consistency of my bunny's poops, so I would guess they are eating the
right things now at least.

I have a hard time with name-words even more than regular-words so
getting them names I do not know if I can, it may take me a long time. I
have put pictures of them and their cage today on my journal here if
anyone wants to see them: http://ari-blue.blogspot.com/

Ari