[Gpdd] MISC Still catching up - Welcome Ari

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 10:26:32 EDT 2011

I think that I have read every post now and need to send a welcome to new
member Ari. Thank you so much for rescuing those two little piggies Ari. I
hope that they have turned out to be both girls ( or both boys - it doesn't
matter as long as they are not one of each.)

You've already been given lots of advice but if you need more do not
hesitate to post. We all love to help.

I wouldn't worry about not being able to speak to your piggies. Although I
greet mine every time I come into the room, if I get a cold, I invariably
lose my voice for a few days and the piggies do not seem to care. They
chatter away happily to each other. Their hearing is very acute and they
will know that you are there. Their sense of smell is very sharp too and
they will know when you are chopping up carrots and cucumber etc. and be
ready for you when you reach their cage. Rustling the hay bag will bring
them squeaking to greet you.

I have a little piggy sanctuary, where 20-30 piggies find forever homes and
mine are always waiting at the front of the pen when I come in, ready to see
what I have brought them. I am not sure how far back the readiness goes. Do
they hear my key in the door or hear the shopping being placed on the
hallway floor or was it my car pulling up on the driveway? Did they even
hear the snip of the shears as I cut their box of fresh grass at my friend's
farm 3 miles away? Maybe that's pushing it a bit!! But they are always alert
to the possibility of veggies.

I keep mine on newspaper and nice, soft hay and every pen is cleaned out
daily.

Re that bald patch behind the ears. It should be the same both sides on each
piggy. They all have it but it is more noticeable on certain coloured
piggies and on those whose ears flop more than others. Someone wrote that
this is a good place to kiss a cavy!

Wishing you lots of happiness with your little ones. Let us know how you get
on.

Penny and the Piggyfriends in England.

http://s720.photobucket.com/home/Piggyfriends