[Gpdd] Health: Roos, can she smell?

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Wed Apr 4 22:41:21 EDT 2012

I think that it's very possible that she is not responding to food smells
she is unfamiliar with.  Baby gp's all the way up to adults decide what is
edible by copying first their mommies then cage mates and parent slaves.
It's unlikely she ever got basil in her former life so she probably ignores
it, likewise cucumber at first. A poison plant can smell strongly too, but a
properly brought up piggies in the wild knows what to avoid as their herd
mates don't eat it. I guess scientifically it might be considered a learned
cultural trait concerning what to eat, and maybe instinct or both to avoid
new foods.

Try just letting her observe the other piggies reaction to basil and I will
bet she will be digging in in a few days. Her cold might hinder her reaction
to a known food but her vision will help her discern known edibles once she
knows what they look like from watching her friends.
When introducing a new food I try eating it in front of the piggies, works
with Vit C tabs too.  Good luck with your project teaching the new ones
what's good for them!
Best regards, Sandy Sammy and AR