[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Metacam and Ibuprofen, again

Ginger Fitzsimmons matildalucet at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 5 23:06:26 EST 2012

Mr. Brownie suddenly started walking funny sometime Monday (fine at breakfast, dragging/limping at evening lap). He got a visit to the vet on Tuesday, where he was diagnosed with some kind of strain or pull or something near one ankle, no break or dislocation. Treatment is metacam for 7-14 days. If it were a human, it would be RICE (rest-ice-compression-elevation) but other than serious napping and holding it off the ground when it bothers him, there is no way to get him to follow the RICE protocol. :-)

I asked about using children's ibuprofen instead of metacam. She said they don't have enough studies to feel like they can recommend it to their clients, but she didn't have a problem with me trying it. I mentioned the British rodentologists and she positively kvelled over how wonderful their work is, how much everybody has learned from them.

The one thing she stressed it that metacam and ibuprofen shouldn't mix. Not only shouldn't I give them at the same time, I should give a "rest" period between them to let the one clear the system before introducing the other. When I asked how long, she says that is a hot debate topic now, with some vets saying two days and some saying two weeks; she leans toward the latter. So since I have metacam in stock and don't have children's ibuprofen, we're using metacam for this incident. I may lay in some of the other as it is MUCH less expensive, and try it next time.

Thank you to everybody who shares what they learn on this list. Y'all make me look very knowledgeable at the vet's office.

-ginger
slave to Brownie and Cuddles