[Gpdd] [CARE] Male pigs

Janna Willard janna.willard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 23:05:13 EST 2012

I've found that males don't need tons of extra attention "down there" if
they have enough space to run around in and their cages are kept quite
clean. I actually had one male who became impacted once, and I cleaned him
out daily for a little while (actually I think it was probably more than
once a day that I checked on him) and gave him extra floor time, and he
stopped becoming impacted.

I of course love both males and females, but I really enjoy males because
their personalities seem more pronounced and they're more assertive. The
biggest complaint I've heard about males is the smell, but again if you
keep their cages quite clean that minimizes the smell a fair bit, and they
seem to make less stink if there aren't any females about. I only bathe my
piggies if they truly need it, since I live in a cold climate and don't
want them to catch cold, but I suppose that would also be an effective
method for controlling the smell! :)

-Janna

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be
normal." Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." Karen
Cushman