[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] New additions - now, with pigtures!

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 07:22:37 EST 2012

Thank you for sharing your pigtures Janna. Oh, those awful nails. Your new
boys will be so much happier now that they have been trimmed. I have taken
in piggies with nails like that and they always seem to be relieved when
they can run about again.

I've had several Peruvians, Shelties and other longhaired piggies over the
years. Some pure bred, some a mixture. As I am never going show a pig I
don't keep their hair long or roll it up in papers, like the show people
do. If the piggies arrive all matted, I start by cutting the mats off
completely and then begin brushing their hair through. I don't mind if it
is uneven - I just want them to be comfortable.The coat will regrow and can
be made smarter at a later date. If the mat is not too bad, you might be
able to remove it by cutting it through the centre and teasing it apart.
You could cut it into several pieces and then tease.

Alternatively ( and this is what I find best ) you can give them a shampoo.
The mats come apart much easier when the coat is wet, especially if they
are all full of hay and poo as some of mine have been when they arrived.
Whilst they are sitting in the bath, I give them a haircut and leave the
brushing until the coat is dry. I use a hairdryer on a low setting for
those with really thick coats such as my Fuzzypeg ( an Alpaca ) whose coat
holds so much more water.

I keep their coats to floor length on the sides, cutting it as short as I
can around their rear. A second pair of hands to hold the piggy is great
with boars so that you can be really careful around their back end but
practice makes perfect. I always trim their fringes so that they can see
out ( and I can see their sweet faces ). A volunteer at my Rodentologists
is brilliant at grooming, giving wonderful layer cuts for longhaired
piggies but my hairdressing skills are not up to her standard. Peter Gurney
used to layer cut many of his longhaired piggies and if you can do this,
many future mats will be prevented.

Once you get the initial tidying under control, future haircuts and the
occasional brush will keep them looking good.

Teddies do not need any special hair care other than the regular shampoos
that all of my piggies get. My new girls Sally and Susie are Teddies and
just get an occasional brush at laptime.

My indoor cages do not have lids as there is no need but my outdoor ones
have wire mesh with wooden framed lids, some hinged, some loose. Probably
too heavy and not quite right for a C&C cage but I imagine that a lid could
be fashioned from some grids held rigid with lightweight poles and fastened
with cable ties. I am sure that someone here has such a cage and can advise.

I am so glad that these lovely boys are now safe with someone who will love
and care for them as they deserve. They will not mind being in a smaller
cage until you have built them the home of their dreams.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.