[Gpdd] Hi from Ellen and piggies

Ellen M. Garrison lola.garrison at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 02:35:28 EST 2012

Hi everyone,

I have had to make an appointment to euthanize Li'l Red this coming
Thursday afternoon with Dr. Dressler.
She needs to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge, where she can be with her
brother, and sister.
I gave her rimadyl today with critical care and water before I left for
work. The only reason why she is still with us is because I have been
syringe feeding her. She can hardly eat on her own; all she eats is rolled
oats, if anything. She is still drooling way too much, and only weighs one
pound, that's only 456 grams. She used to weigh, at her heaviest, 1077
grams.

I finally realized with the help of Ann Evans, that I can't keep her alive
with syringe feeding, it's the quality of life, it's not fair for her. I
somehow, (probably because I was in denial), kept thinking she was going to
gain more weight. Well I have been trying to make this happen since July
last year. Dear Lil Red. the last time I ever saw her lying on her side,
sleeping (you know how they do when they're resting) was when I picked her
up to go to our new place back in July. Even though all we did was walk
over, because it's a short walk, it was still upsetting. I feel like an
ogre for having moved everybody, but now that we have moved, our
home is much better. However, she is always hunched over and won't lie on
her side. We thought there had been an incorrect dose of meds or incorrect
time of dosage of meds.
There was another vet who, last year in July, kept her on isoflurane for
over an hour, and then didn't even finish her teeth; used high powered
tools, and unintentionally, I am sure, caused oral thrush.  Dear little,
Li'l Red had abrasians all in her mouth. Piggies are so much more delicate
and susceptible than cats or dogs or even rabbits, I think. Does anyone
know of isoflurane causing organ damage to cavies, as a result of being
under that type of gas for too long, I would really like to know.

I hadn't mentioned it, but I had to help Cocoa, her brother, to the bridge
also. Just a day after Christmas. He had an inoperable bladder stone. Then
he could not urinate. I have been hardly on the digest lately. Please
forgive me. I have to wait until Thursday because they are closed tomorrow,
and I had to work today, and the drive is long.  Each moment at home seems
packed with hundreds of little things to do.
Please say a prayer for my pigs, Sheila, Cocoa, and Lil Red. thanks. RIP
Sheila, Cocoa, and Lil Red. I really love you.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Ellen