[Gpdd] CARE: PetSmart stores selling small animals

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 09:04:51 EST 2012

It may not be the same chain of stores but we once had a Petsmart in a
nearby town. I visited it when it opened and was appalled at the
accommodation for the animals. Rabbits in with piggies. No!!! Questions to
the staff revealed that they were just employees and didn't know anything
about the pets.

A nice little petshop close by eventually gave up as it could not compete
for prices. Such a shame as the owner used to board my birds when I went on
holiday and he was very knowledgeable about all kinds of pets. Fish were
his speciality.

This Petsmart went from bad to worse. There were many stories about how the
staff failed the animals on the letters page of our local newspaper and my
vets kindly allowed a petition on their counter, which attracted thousands
of signatures. It did, eventually, close down.

This may well be nothing to do with the US Petsmart chain and I don't want
to decry what might be a good company. It could just be a coincidence about
the name. So don't sue me.

Neither of the pet shops near to my house sell animals. They have
noticeboards where one can pin up a card about pets and accessories for
sale. The nice one in my village had the card about Fuzzypeg and Gandalf
needing a home.

We all need to be vigilant. Anyone can write a complaining letter to their
newspaper, even anonymously.

Penny and the Piggyfriends in England.