[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE: a POPCORN SIGHTIN!

Lynn Williams mlwilliams at clear.net
Mon Mar 26 18:53:15 EDT 2012

hi all,Eve and Callie have been here a week now and for the first 5 or 6 days, they were pretty much staying hidden in their pigloo, sack and hay. I was getting a little concerned because even when I took them out to hold them, Eve especially would be so scared and skittish and seemed to be panicking. I was encouraged by the lady at the rescue shelter to just give them some time after all that they had gone through to get here.  She said it was possible they were just kind of freaked out and would need extra time to adjust.  She also suggested I do away with floor time because that really seemed to scare them.  Another very nice lady told me their fear  was because of the little known and little reported "invisible room eagles" that hover in the homes of all guinea pigs, just waiting to pounce on unsuspecting piggies! lol anyway, there has b a very huge step forward. last night, after holding them for a while, Callie was being very aggressive and kept smacking Eve with her teeth.  So, I got Earl to take Eve into the office where their cage is and I carried Callie in.  She, of course, assumed Eve was already in the cage.  When she got in there, she ran all over the place, looking in every hidey hole and making the inquisitive little sounds they always make.  Not sure if she wanted to do some more bullying or was just looking for her.  Anyway, I finally put Eve in and after she made a few rounds, they came nose to nose ("Yikes!")  in the pigloo. after much jockeying for who would get what hidey hole, Eve ended up running back in their sack.  The best part happened next though.
right after she went in, she ran right back out, popcorned, took 2 more steps and then popcorned twice! I was delighted.  Then, Callie started chasing her around the cage but I think it was more playing than it was trying to start a fight.  At least I know now that they are starting to calm down and feeling more at home here with us.  So, I can be at ease now.  They're definitely *my* pigs now.   I feel like my toddler took her first step!

A very relieved and happy Lynn

hugs and whisker kisses,