[Gpdd] Introducing Minnie and Daisy

ME Me at buddies.org
Thu Sep 13 12:04:09 EDT 2012

I am tickled pink (Daisy has pink eyes) to announce the arrival of Minnie and Daisy into our herd 5 days ago ... well, they're not with the herd yet as I keep them in quarantine for at least a month so they can get accustomed slowly to their new surroundings and humans.  I like them to be completely comfortable with everything before putting them in the big enclosure since it is 2' X 5'.

Minnie is a black and white American.  She's the outgoing and active one.  Nothing gets her down.  Her running around is almost neurotic as it's constant until she tires herself out.  She has a slight head tilt, so Dr. J prescribed Baytril.  It took a couple times before I figured out how she likes taking it ... she's already taking it like a big girl ... no restraint, just wrapped loosely with a towel for security, with her head halfway covered by the towel (like a hood) and her front legs on my wrist.

Daisy is a lilac or beige (I'm not sure about the difference) self American.  She's a cautious and timid one, but she's a big complainer when you do stuff she doesn't like.  I was a bit worried about her as she lost almost 100 grams in 3 days, but Dr. J said she looked good.  I thought she did too, which made the weight loss puzzling.  She's been eating and drinking since she came home, has bright eyes, and clear lungs.  Anyway, the loss appears to be all or mostly water as at last night's weighing, she gained it all back and then some ... with this morning being 10 grams more than last night!

They're both larger than the ones I usually get (Minnie 425g, now 452;  Daisy 507, now 525) ... but when I saw Minnie, I instantly knew I'd like to have her.  I saw Daisy second, as she was hiding in her house, and I thought she was the most adorable little thing.  I usually avoid pet stores as this sort of thing happens quite often, but I was looking for the new Critters annual (found it).  Oh, I just realized I haven't looked at the magazine yet.  It must still be in the car.  I guess I was distracted by something else ... but what could be more attention-getting than a magazine with a guinea pig on the cover?  :)