[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Diarrhea in Sooty all the time and Imodium

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Sep 30 10:39:34 EDT 2012

All of this info is from the Cambridge Cavy Trust and has been supported
by my personal experiences. All medications are to be given orally.
First try to stop the diarrhea with Imodium. You can give 2.0 mg/day for
up to 3 days. This can be given as one dose or in divided dosages. I
start by giving 1.0 mg and repeat in 8 hours. I use generic Imodium
liquid that contains 1.0 mg of loperamide HCl in 5.0 ml. Thus the first
doses is 5.0 ml. You can also use Imodium instant melts. One melt
contains 2.0 mg. Dissolve in some water and give half of the water for
the first dose. His intestinal villa most certainly have been damaged so
stopping diarrhea using any medication will be difficult. In all cases
the underlying disease must be addressed. Everything Sandy said is
correct. I would suspect that he has coccidiosis along with a bacterial
and or fungal infection. Your vet can determine coccidiosis from a stool
sample by looking at the fecal float under a microscope. At the same
time I would suggest having your vet culture the stool sample for yeast
and bacteria. My first choice of medication is Flagyl, metronidazole, 25
mg/day in one dose for up to 10 days. My second choice for coccidiosis
is Albon 5% suspension of sulfadimethoxine. Give an initial dose of 50
mg in one dose on second day and up to 10 days give 25 mg/day just one
dose per day. Also worm him per Piggyville protocol
http://piggyville.com/index.php?id=9. Recovery is often a long road
especially in a piggy that has had a long standing condition. If the
diarrhea is caused by bacteria, Baytril given at 10 mg twice a day for 7
days should be given. If it is caused by fungus then itraconazole 10
mg/ml suspension is used up to 30 days. The dose is 4.0 mg twice a day
for the first 5 days. If using 10 mg/ml this would be 0.4 ml. Then 2.0
mg twice a day up to day 30. Again if using 10 mg/ml this is 0.2 ml.
Ibuprofen should be given twice a day when using Baytril and or
Itraconazole. The dose is 8.0 mg twice a day. Thus if using children's
ibuprofen that contains 100 mg ibuprofen in 5.0 ml this equals a 20.0
mg/ml solution. You would use 0.4 ml twice a day.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA.