[Gpdd] CARE: RE: Syringing amount

ME me at buddies.org
Sat Apr 6 09:28:08 EDT 2013

How are you holding her when you're syringing?  I always hold mine on a towel (folded a few times) on my chest as I do when we're cuddling.  That way, they feel relaxed and secure.  I just hold out the syringe and put my other hand behind or beside their head or sometimes under their chin (depends on which way they move ... though often they just grab the syringe themselves so I don't use the other hand at all).  We cuddle while I wait for them the finish chewing or swallowing or when I just sense they need to rest a bit, especially when hand feeding pellets.

I often use this method for giving meds as well if it makes them feel more comfortable (though I do have a few that will grab the syringe while just sitting on a flat surface).  Besides, I often supplement with some pellets when they're on meds, as it seems to perk them up and keep their spirits up.  If they don't like the hand feeding, and their weight is just fine, I don't do it.