[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: guinea pigs and grief

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 17 21:39:13 EDT 2013

Stephanie, guinea pigs can definitely be very much affected by grief.  I
imagine it can vary by pig, as with people, but when my Friday passed
away last year, his buddy, Ethan, had trouble adjusting.  Ethan had
never been alone.  He ate, but he didn't run around in the cage anymore
and didn't like floortime.  He avoided the cozies he used to love and I
just got a feeling of sadness from him.  As soon as we found Eddie at a
rescue, Ethan went back to lounging in his cozies, running around, etc.
I could even see that his body language was more relaxed.

Since Mocha seems to like being alone, she sounds fine, but I would
definitely look into getting a buddy for your Jasmine.

Our best wishes to both of them.  HTH.

Cindy, Ethan, and Eddie