[Gpdd] HEALTH:Re Update on Eve and Callie

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 08:07:21 EST 2013

Hi Lynn,

I am glad that you have found a vet that seems to know more about piggies.
Make sure that you ask for him whenever you need to take one of the girls
in. Before I had my wonderful Rodentologists, I would only ever let one of
the vets at the practice see my piggies. He was always very pleased to
learn anything that I had learned from Peter Gurney and use this info to
help other piggies.

>From what Sandy has gleaned from Guinea Lynx, it would appear that the new
antibiotic is similar to my Septrin as my box is labelled trimethoprim
sulfamethoxazole. We always give 1ml. twice a day, higher than your vet's
recommendation. As this is a suspension, make sure to shake the bottle to
mix the ingredients.

At last, a vet that does not want to anaesthetise piggies for dental work.
All he needs now is the right equipment.

For anyone interested in seeing this dental equipment, here is a link to
the CCT ( Cambridge Cavy trust ) catalogue.

http://britishassociationofrodentologists.co.uk/ESW/Files/BAR_Catalogue_2013.pdf

They sell assorted charts to help with piggy problems, including how to
insert the wire devices, as well as a comprehensive book, which covers all
things guinea and which would be a valuable addition to any vet's office.

Hopefully, you will not need any dentistry for your girls but it is well to
be forearmed with the info.

My Rodentologists look at piggy's teeth as part of a well pig check up.
Inserting the little wire devices takes seconds and enables the whole of
the inside of a piggy's mouth to be clearly seen and any clipping takes
just a few seconds more.

Sandy, that's a good tip about keeping the parsley fresh. My herd clear up
a whole bunch of parsley at one sitting so there is never any to keep for
later.

All the best for Eve and Callie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.