[Gpdd] [Rainbow Bridge] Puffy

scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com scalabro3 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jun 12 12:53:16 EDT 2013

We are so sad to report that Puffy left for the Rainbow Bridge this morning. We were so happy this morning when he was still with us. We fed him his breakfast, and he seemed to really enjoy it. He came running out to see us like he used to before he got sick, and when I gave Cocoa Puff his medicine this morning, he came over and tried to steal the syringe from me like he used to do before he was sick. I thought he was doing better, so I left him to get ready for work, but before I could get in the shower, he was gone. He died in his little pigloo with his beloved Cocoa Puff by his side.  Cocoa Puff has always been sickly, so we worried what Puffy would do when Cocoa Puff crossed over. We never considered that Puffy might go first.

He was a sweet little ball of fluff when we first met him four years ago. I had never held a baby guinea pig, so I asked to pick him up.  When I put him down, he started to cry. My husband picked him up and he stopped crying, and when he put him down, he started to cry again.  It was shortly after this that I realized that I cannot pick up any guinea pig that I don’t intend to take home with me.  He was such a tiny little guy, and we thought we’d lose him that first night. He sat huddled in the corner and wouldn’t eat or drink. My husband encouraged me to syringe him a little water and feed him by hand, and he perked up after that. We let him spend time with Dilly and Donnie, but they were both older pigs, and Puffy clearly irritated them with his boundless energy and non stop noise.  So we decided to find him a friend. The only young male on Petfinder at the time was a skinny little abby with a lot of health issues. We were told he was deaf, so we thought that Puffy’s non-stop noise wouldn’t be an issue for him. We brought home Cocoa Puff, and it was love at first sight. Puffy spent the rest of his life grooming and caring for Cocoa Puff and, remarkably, never cried again once he had his Cocoa Puff.

Puffy and Cocoa Puff spent the day at the vet yesterday. She ran more tests, did x-rays and ultrasounds, but still couldn’t find out what caused this. There was something near his kidney that she thought might have been a tumor, but she couldn’t get a clear image of it. In the end, I guess it doesn’t matter. He’s with Dillon and Twinkie now and watching over us. I’m sure he’ll check in on his Cocoa Puff for the rest of his life, and I’m sure that I will see him and all my beloved companions again some day.

Thanks so much to Anne for all your advice. We started Puffy on Sporonox right after you contacted me, and it seemed to help, but it was too late. He had just lost too much weight. Thanks to Julie. I appreciate you taking time from your grief over losing your dear Snowdrop to send advice and encouragement. Thanks to Sandy, who is always there for me, and to Penny, Glynis and Cindy. Also thanks to everyone else who read the post and sent positive energy and prayers our way.

Best wishes to you all,

ME in New Smyrna Beach with Donovan, Cocoa Puff, Chakalaka, Dilly Jr., Reese, Godiva, and Ghirardelli in our home and with Dillon, Twinkie, and Puffy Forever in our Hearts.