[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Post surgical advice for Flower

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Thu Jun 13 12:15:30 EDT 2013

Hi Anneli,
I am happy that Flower's surgery to remove her ovaries and part of her
uterine horns was successful. As a pharmaceutical scientist and
rodentologist I would be interested in finding out the name of the
anti-anxiety drug she was given. I am always eager to learn new ways to
help piggys. Regarding her reluctance to eat, may I suggest that you put
1.0 ml of olive oil or coconut oil into the critical care you are
syringing her. The oil is a source of nutrients and also helps to
prevent bloat. Piggys often suffer from post surgical bloat. I would
also suggest that you have on hand a bottle of infants simethicone
drops.About 0.3 ml can also be added to the critical care at each
feeding. If she does get bloat you want to give her the simethicone at a
dose of 3.0 ml every 3-4 hours and keep her moving. Just like when you
have gas pains you may not feel like eating, Flower will not feel like
eating if she has gas pain. Also her reluctance to eat may be due to
surgical pain. I use dye free Advil which is ibuprofen 20 mg/ml. The
dose is 0.4 ml twice a day. Keep up the good work feeding her and keep
watch for bloat or gastric stasis and weigh her daily.

By the way ovarian cysts can be easily drained by simply inserting a
needing into them and allowing the fluid to drain out. It is just the
opposite of giving an injection and does not cause the piggy any more
stress than an injection. Then the cysts can be treated by giving 100
USP units of human chorionic gonadotropin, HCG. The dose is 100 USP
units/piggy. Repeat in 2-4 weeks. A third injection may be needed.

I would also be interested in learning if the removal of her ovaries
stops the milk production.

Best of Health for Flower!
I volunteer as a consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh
D.V.M. of Ehrlich Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase
Animal Hospital Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA