[Gpdd] [HEALTH] Sami's health diarrhea, Charcoal, Imodium, probiotics and Nystatin

Ann Evans ann.evans at hintlink.com
Sun Mar 3 16:14:26 EST 2013

Hi Ellen,
I am happy the activated charcoal is helping with the diarrhoea. Penny
brought up a good point that when you use Imodium it should be used for
only 2-3 days maximum. Anytime a piggy has diarrhea if you can not stop
it within a few days it will need sub q fluids to prevent dehydration. I
use ringer's lactate 10 ml/site. You can give up to 40 ml/day. Now it is
much better to give fluids by mouth if you can and have the time. In
that case I would use pedialyte 40 ml/day. Another thing to consider
when a piggy has had diarrhea is the need to use a probiotic for a
couple of days to re-establish the normal gut flora. I typically use
Critter be better or critical care or Forco. Just a pinch a day is all
that is needed. Another thing to consider is that whenever a piggy goes
off food or has diarrhea there is a higher chance of getting overgrowth
of yeast and fungus in the gi tract. I give either Daktarin oral gel 0.5
ml 3 times a day for 7 days or Nystatin oral suspension 100,000 USP
units/ml at at dosage of 0.3 ml twice a day for 7 days. I volunteer as a
consulting rodentologist to Drs. Danielson and Saleh D.V.M. of Ehrlich
Animal Hospital and Dr. Bonsack D.V.M. of Westchase Animal Hospital
Tampa, Florida.

Cheers,

Ann and the Rescued Piggys of Piggyville, Tampa Florida USA