[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] trying to hold my guinea pig

ROYCE LARSON cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Sat May 11 13:09:41 EDT 2013

I'm returning to the GPDD after six years away. If any of you have been here that long, maybe you remember Rodeo Bud. When we moved, I got too busy to keep up but now I'm back with a new guinea pig and looking for some advice. Chipper has been a member of our family for six months. I don't know how old he was when I bought him, but he was only 13 oz. so he was quite young. He's still several months away from adulthood, but he is so different from any guinea pig I've ever had. He has so much personality, is a bundle of energy and is as cute as a button! He's actually my favorite of any guinea pig I've ever had. I've worked with him in his pen every day and he loves to be petted and scratched. I actually climb in, kneel down and we play. He's very affectionate and jumps on my lap and settles down for a treat when I go in his pen. However, I have been picking him up every day for six months and he will not settle down to be petted. He is wonderful and relaxed for two minutes; that is, literally two minutes, I time it. After that he is a squiggly wiggle worm. I've tried everything I can think of. At least now that he's older, he's quit trying to bite me at the same time. I've returned him to his cage to relieve himself and tried again. No luck. I've given him a fifteen minute break and tried again. No luck. I've tried to just keep him on my lap for five minutes at a time, even though the last three minutes are a struggle. I've tried putting him back immediately so there is no unpleasant time on my lap. All these strategies haven't been one-day attempts. I've done each consistently for weeks each with no luck. About once every month or so Chipper will sit quietly on my lap for 8-10 minutes and I will think we've finally made it. Then it's back to the same old deal. During the two minutes, he sits quietly, he will sometimes purr and is very relaxed like he enjoys it. But that is it. Has anyone had this experience? Will he grow out of it...I hope? Any suggestions? In his pen when I pick him up to pet him, which I do frequently every day, he relaxes for 15 seconds and then wants down. Yet he loves to be petted, rubbed and played with in the pen, as long as his feet are on the ground. Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Carla & Chipper