[Gpdd] HEALTH: Probiotics

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Mon May 27 03:01:34 EDT 2013

Dearest Lynn,   Unless you get a bunch of abnormal poos I wouldn't worry too
much, just extra veggies or fruit can soften poos. That said are you giving
Critter B Better or Critical Care? They have probiotics. If not, recently
someone, maybe Ann, wrote wrote that acidophilus alone works. Maybe we could
get a confirmation from someone? I have always thought that it works on milk
only, but I'm not expert. I can say that the refrigerated section of the
Health Food section usually has a small assortment of probiotic products.
Live cultures require refrigeration. If there is a knowledgeable attendant
maybe she could help pick one, or call ahead.

I'm looking at the ingredients of the Critter B Better I have now and it
lists Lactobacillus acidophilus  L. casei, Bifidobacterium  thermophilum, &
Enterococcus faecium. I use Nancy's Yogurt, it has 5 cultures not the exact
same the last one is missing but I will admit that when I eat gassy
brassicas like kale, if I have yogurt I get little or no gas. (Darn did I
just say that?) Therefore, I have to say that some of those cultures do work
on vegetable matter. So my advice is to give one of the two professional
products or find a probiotic with some of those cultures. Also, don't forget
the value of simethicone!

We have usually talked about avoiding yogurt. I wonder if it's OK to give
the whey that separates from the curd once the curd is broken. I would think
that the bacteria are in the whey as well, and you could syringe it, as it's
watery. Last, I doubt you have to worry about exact amounts of Bene-bac.
What do you all think?
I don't know what to say about the cough or raspy squawk. I assume its new.
Maybe something got stuck, is she in distress at all?

Please remember I am just a piggy parent with no professional training or
experience
Sandy and Sammy with our little stuffed shirt AR.