[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE RE Snowdrop's grave

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 12:18:13 EDT 2013

Julie,

I am so sorry that you had to find that that Snowdrop's grave had been
disturbed.

In all my years of burying piggies in my garden, I had never had one
disturbed until last year, when my garden was invaded by rabbits. I had
always had dogs, who kept any unwanted vermin out of the garden and my
piggies' last resting places were safe with something pretty planted over
them and a painted sign with their name and dates.

Last year, I found a huge hole in one of my flowerbeds and the ribbons
tying up my box were strewn across the lawn. I always bury them as deeply
as I can but the ground elsewhere was hard and I guess that the rabbit
thought that this was an easier place to create a home as nesting material
had been dragged down the hole. After covering up my box, I placed a piece
of galvanised wire mesh over the top with bricks holding it down.

After that experience, I always cover the grave site with a piece of wire
and some bricks and plant their special flower nearby as the wire is in the
way. After the ground has settled, the rabbits don't seem to bother any
more and I can remove the wire and plant another flower. I asked for a
rabbit trap for my birthday last year and that has been really useful. They
can't resist pieces of old carrot.

Much as I curse those rabbits, I can't shoot one. It is a humane trap and I
release them in the woods far enough away that they do not come back. I
have to put cages around all of my veggies so I hope that I manage to clear
out all the rabbits this winter as they have even eaten the chickweed and
dandelions that I grow especially for the piggies.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.