[Gpdd] MISC: Homemade guinea pig treats

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Sun Sep 1 09:34:09 EDT 2013

Hi Lynn So nice to hear from you.  I don't feed much in the way of sweet
fruits to my Sammy, in natures they eat more like hays and greens so that's
what I feed. I skip berries and anything high on list of pesticides. We have
to protect them from too much sugar  and diabetes too, I think the consensus
is carrot the size of a baby carrot daily and since a carrot is sweet then
no more sweet food that day.

The only food I cut up are the stringy one like beans and celery. I give
organic bell peppers, organic tomatoes and mostly mixed greens,  all
organic.  The mix is about 90% greens including lettuces. The tomatoes and
peppers are for Vit C. occasionally a bit of cantaloupe or watermelon.
Occasionally an organic grape.  No peaches plums, nectarines, but tiny
amounts of organic apple.
I pick the goods that have to be organic from the EWG (Environmental Working
Group) dirty dozen http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/summary.php  or the I pick
from the whole list http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/list.php.  Since piggies eat
such a high percentage of their foods as pellets , hay, and food from this
list, Sammy and I both eat organic from the dirty dozen. I am a vegetarian
too.  My piggies always like corn shucks so I give only the inner shucks as
there is more likely to be pesticide's on the outer ones.  I don't give
silks as I imagine they may have pesticide as that's where I always found
the worms, they work in from the top.

Looking at the treat recipes I would leave the honey out of the first one,
the second one looks good and I the third one looks unhealthy
http://ohmyguineapig.blogspot.com/2012/07/guinea-pig-treats-diy-homemade-gui
nea.html

So go ahead and make that cobbler. Happy Days
Sandy, Sammy, and AR