[Gpdd] HEALTH Re: Merrie, Rufus and Raphael.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 3 11:39:52 EST 2014

Rachel,

We are so pleased to read that you have a new piggy! Welcome Raphael and
well done to you for giving him a wonderful new home and bringing him back
to health. He's a lucky little boy.

Poor Rufus. I am so glad that his wounds have healed up nicely but such a
shame that his eyesight is compromised. We have had blind piggies here at
Piggyfriends and also those who have gone blind in later years but it never
stopped any of them from running around with their friends. It was only
because I knew of their condition that I could tell them from their sighted
companions so I do hope that Rufus will adapt to his near blindness. Even
when I put my piggies out on the lawn for a run, any poorly sighted or
blind ones still ran around even though they were not in their familiar
surroundings. I guess that they followed a sighted friend by scent as
piggies eyesight is not brilliant at the best of times and, maybe, as their
sight dimmed other senses kicked in and improved just like with blind
humans.

Merrie's drippy nostril is a worry. I see that you have tried several
remedies but have you tried menthol crystals? I've used these with success
in the past but have not had a piggy with such a long term drippy nose.
Drop one crystal into a small jar of boiling water ( I use a baby food jar
). Wrap the jar with a flannel or some such to avoid scalding your fingers
and hold piggy so that his nose is just clear of the rim, letting him
inhale the vapour. It is very strong and makes my eyes water but piggies
seem to like it.

Could he have polyps in his nose? Maybe your vet could take a look.

Hugs for all your little ones.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.