[Gpdd] Health: Chipper's teeth

ROYCE cotton_cowboys at msn.com
Thu Jun 5 16:28:19 EDT 2014

First, I want to sincerely thank everyone who has been so supportive with suggestions and best wishes for Chipper's recovery. I have delayed writing because I thought maybe I would have a positive outcome to report. Instead, this situation continues to be a total mystery to me.  Chipper has eaten almost nothing on his own for at least twelve days. He had his surgery on a Wednesday and it is now Thursday of the following week. He hasn't lost an ounce, but this is a dubious distinction. He had one poo last Saturday and not a single one since. I can't even believe this is possible. I've talked extensively to the vet about it and he told me that when Chipper is uncomfortable with this, I will definitely know as he will be lethargic, fluffed up, hiding out, etc. Instead, Chipper is still begging for his food, although he can't eat, and welcoming me whenever I'm around. Without doubt, this is the saddest, most frustrating experience I've ever had with a guinea pig. The vet told me he had a genetic malocclusion and it is extremely obvious now. His front teeth are completely misaligned and that is why he can't pick up any food. He can use his back molars fine but can't get anything into his own mouth. I don't see any possible happy outcome here and, in many ways, I know I'm just prolonging the inevitable. If things aren't resolved on their own by this weekend, I'll probably have to take action. I can't stand this sadness much longer and it hurts to see him suffer and be so frustrated. He never lays down all stretched out anymore. He just sits a little fluffed up in his house, one of the signs that things are not good. However, he still purrs when I pet him, and loves my attention. Heartbreaking in the extreme because he has been my best friend and companion. I'll get another guinea pig as soon as I can. It is the only way I can get through this at all.  My husband asks why I put myself through this. Guinea pigs are often short-lived and my last two have only lived for two years. However, for me, what they add to my life in that short time is worth this sadness. I'll always have all the amazing, warm memories. And I like to think I've made their short lives the very best they could be. Carla & Chipper