[Gpdd] HEALTH Pig with pneumonia

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Thu May 8 13:03:27 EDT 2014

Hello Rachel,

I am sorry that Merrie has pneumonia. You don't need to wait for an Xray to
tell if there is fluid in the lungs. Sit piggy up on one hand holding him
up with the other. Give him a shake up and down and you will hear the fluid
sloshing around. This sounds drastic but I have seen my rodentologists do
this many times and they showed me how it is done.

Any piggy in this condition needs a diuretic asap and a lasix or furosemide
injection is called for immediately.

There are many human remedies that have proved to be eminently suitable for
piggies with colds etc. I won't go into these now but a dab of Vick on his
nostrils may help with his breathing. You can put a dab on his paws at
night so that he can inhale the vapour when asleep. You can buy menthol
crystals. I get them from a health food shop here in England. You dissolve
one in some boiling water
in a small container. A clean glass baby food jar is perfect. Hold the jar
in a cloth right under piggy's nose so that he can inhale the vapour. Mind
your fingers and piggy's nose on the very hot jar. I find the vapour
extremely strong and it makes my eyes water but piggies seem to like it and
it really does help to clear their airways. I am glad that you have a
nebuliser.

All the best on Saturday at the vets. Do let us know how you get on.

Penny and the Piggyfriends ( The usual disclaimer applies - I have no
veterinary training but have been caring for rescued piggies for decades.)

Ann is away on holiday at the moment but she might be able to read the GPDD
where she is.