[Gpdd] MISC: Condolences for Penny the Guide Dog

Sandra Oliver-Poore warmbreath at comcast.net
Tue Oct 7 06:36:17 EDT 2014

Dear Lynn, I am so sorry to hear about Penny's passing. There are no words
to say that can truly comfort the loss of a companion and helper of 12
years. I can only say that we are all there for you and pray you will bear
up and soldier on without her magnificent help and companionship and we know
you will from your secret plan. Penny was one a breed of magnificent
creatures that are perceptive and loving beyond what we normally think a
non-human is capable of, capable of forethought and planning to do her job.
Think too of the meaning you gave to her life. You gave her a purpose and
job to do and returned her love and service with your deep love and bond. It
must be like a marriage in many ways. Such a creature is worthy of respect
and mourning from all of us as she led the kind of life many aspire to. You
have my deepest condolences and Penny my most heartfelt respect and caring
for a life well lived.
I wonder if there is some foundation somewhere for rehoming service dogs
that have outlived their keepers? Perhaps service dogs returning from war,
before they were just abandoned in the foreign countries they served, but
now I hear of people banding together to bring them home. Alternatively,
mature police or sniffer dogs? Perhaps a dog like that might be too active
but it made me think of some way to hook you up with a new companion in a
nontraditional way. Perhaps one of our members will have heard of something.
Sadly, Sandy, with Sandy, Manny the Boar, and the Penny Giggles all at the
bridge.

---