[Gpdd] HEALTH Angel's bumblefoot.

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 13 18:47:27 EDT 2014

This is not much help, Ellen, but my Rodentologists say that there is no
cure for bumblefoot and that it is just something that happens.

I don't think that I would want to give a piggy antibiotics without there
being a very good reason for doing so.

I am sorry that Angel has a tumour but agree with you that I would not want
to have a piggy of his age undergo an anaesthetic and hope that it does not
grow any bigger or inconvenience him in any way.

Two of my senior boars get impacted. A swab round with some Vaseline on a
cotton bud makes it easy to eject the offending lump of caecals and a treat
of a chicory leaf afterwards makes them forget the discomfort.

I've only used griseofulvin for a systemic fungal infection. It needs to be
given with care as it can put a piggy right off his food. My Bramley was
given it and he was fine on it but a piggy having it needs very careful
observation. It has been a very long time since one of the Piggyfriends had
Bumblefoot. I took in a little girl already suffering from it years ago. I
had to keep her on soft bedding so that the scab did not get knocked off as
this can cause profuse bleeding. She never had any pus needing removal.

My veterinary tome is still missing in action following the removal of
everything from the pigroom for our demolition and rebuilding so I can't
share what that might have to say about Bumblefoot ( pododermatitis ). I'll
check it out when it resurfaces.

Regards from Penny and the Piggyfriends.