[Gpdd] HEALTH Gruden von Squeakycheeks

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 13:40:17 EST 2015

Hello Jocelyn,

Isn't it a shame that we cannot post photos along with our questions? It
would make diagnosing piggy problems so much easier.

At first guess I would suggest Gruden might have a sebaceous cyst that has
burst,The cyst does contain a fatty white substance. If this is the case,
you can squeeze out the contents and clean up the hole with something
antiseptic. I use Dermisol cream but someone will know of a suitable
product in the US. Or you could use a saline solution.

My Rodentologist can then pick out the gland that causes the cyst so that
it does not reoccur but this is not a job for the amateur or the
fainthearted.

I thought that there were some pictures of sebaceous cysts on Guinea Lynx
but could not find them. Google sebaceous cyst and you might find one.

I did find a couple of pics that might help to identify Gruden's lump. Have
a look at the top pics on this site and click on the right hand pic to see
what the contents look like.

https://www.guineapigfun.com/medical-4.html

If ( and I stress IF ) Gruden has one of these cysts, which are harmless,
it might save him a traumatic trip to the vet.

Let us all know what you find and if you do not feel that this is a
sebaceous cyst, we'll have another think. Hugs for Gruden, who doesn't know
what all the fuss is about.

Penny and the Piggyfriends, who have had their fair share of these cysts
down the years.

The usual disclaimer applies. I have no veterinary training but have
learned from the best - my lovely vet, my wonderful Rodentologists and
Peter Gurney and experience counts for quite a lot.