[Gpdd] HEALTH: Callie's Not Eating

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 26 15:00:52 EST 2015

Hi Lynn,
Am I remembering correctly that Callie has had problems with UTIs in the past?   I have had a LOT of problems with UTIs with my piggies, and it does seem that if a piggy is prone to them, they are likely to recur so that would be my first suspicion (and I might be completely confused about which of your piggies had the UTI in the past!).
As many others have said, I would be getting her in to the vet as soon as possible.  If she has lost that amount of weight, this could be something that has been going on at a low level for a while.  If you have Children's Ibuprofen or other safe piggie pain meds, I would start those right away --- many piggie problems cause pain, so her response won't tell you for sure what the problem is, but discomfort from whatever source is a major cause of a piggie going off her food.
Years ago, someone gave a recipe for mushballs for a sick rabbit that I have used successfully many times with a sick piggy as well.  Just cover her regular pellets with hot water with a little carrot juice or fruit juice mixed in for extra flavour.  Let it soak long enough to completely soften the pellets, then chop up a favourite green or veggie very fine, mix everything into a thick paste and roll it into little balls.  I try to use a veggie that they don't get often, which helps to peak their interest.  I usually start with hand feeding, but often they will eat the mushballs off a plate by themselves once they are familiar with them.
Beaming good thoughts in your direction --- keep in touch!!!
Pat&the Prairie Pigs