[Gpdd] HEALTH Charlie has a tumour

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends48 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:20:58 EST 2015

Hello Christine,

A lump that grows this quickly sounds very much more like an abscess than a
tumour but without seeing Charlie this is only my opinion. This is a prime
site for an abscess.

My Roisin had one a couple of months ago. A small lump that I felt when
giving her a check up had, within days, swelled to about an inch across. I
have seen these before so took her to our Rodentologist, who confirmed my
diagnosis. He lanced the abscess and extracted a large amount of foul
smelling pus. He kept her in to save me keep driving over to see him as
these abscesses can fill up again and again until they finally subside.
She had antibiotics - we use Septrin - and had the abscess lanced a few
times more and after about 3 weeks, she was able to come home. I watch her
carefully in case it flares up again but so far so good.

If Charlie's problem really is an abscess, your vet could do this simple
procedure for you and, like Sandy, you could keep flushing out the
contents. The pus is toxic so wash your hands afterwards and also keep
Charlie away from any other piggies or buns until it has cleared up.

An abscess like this is not attached to anything so nicking the jugular is
very unlikely as it can be lanced from the front. If your vet is not
comfortable lancing it, I would seek another vet as the abscess will
continue to grow and, in all likelihood, will eventually burst open.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were able to see each other's piggies on the
Digest and not have to resort to guesswork!

All the best for Charlie.

Penny and the Piggyfriends. The usual disclaimer applies. I have no
veterinary training but have learned from the best - my Rodentologists, my
vet and Peter Gurney and have decades of experience caring for a herd of
piggies.