[Gpdd] Madonna - Lady pig with sore skin :-(

Kathleen Geoghegan kmgeoghegan at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 20 11:35:45 EDT 2016

 Madonna - Lady pig with sore skin

Hi everyone,

I hope you and your piggies are all well.

One of my ladies, Madonna, is around 6 years old and usually has her home
freshened up every 2 days.  This week I had to go away for 4 days and had a
friend come to take care of the animals which usually works fine.

When I came back to the piggies today, they looked clean and happy but when
I picked up Madonna, her belly and back legs felt wet.  She seems to have
stayed in the same corner without moving around much to go to the bathroom
and now her rear end is looking sore :-(

I suppose she has just become less active now that she is a senior pig :-(

I got her cleaned up with a gentle bath (water only) and have washed and
disinfected all her bedding etc.  But I´m worried that her skin might
become infected.

Is there anything I can use at home to keep her skin nice and clean whilst
the soreness heals?

Anything gentle I can add to her bath water that would act as a
disinfectant?

Unfortunately vets in this part of the world know very little about small
animals and the vet I consulted has sold me a spray which turns out to be
permethrin, I am pretty sure that this is not going to be any use :-(

Any advice from the lovely and wise piggy carers here would be very much
appreciated.

Thank you from me and Madonna.

Kate Xxxxx