[Gpdd] Misc.: in what countries is it normal to have guinea pigs as pets?

Rayna Alsberg rmalsberg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 21:45:22 EDT 2017

Hello, Mieke!

In the US, it is common for guinea pigs to be regarded as a child's
"starter pet," to see if the child is responsible enough to maybe have a
dog or cat later on.

People would smile when I told them I had piggies, perhaps thinking it
unusual for an adult (without children) to have guinea
pigs................but we know from the GPDD members that many adult
Americans have pet piggies.

I'm not commenting on whether these attitudes are right or wrong, just
reporting my observation.

Thank you for asking this interesting question!

:-)

Wheeks,

Rayna
Taffy, Sundae, Tosca, Carmen, and Shakira, all in mem