[Gpdd] health : Spikey has erratic eye movement

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 00:38:59 EDT 2017

HI  Spikey our approximately 5 year old male abby guinea pig who when we got him from the humane society came with a slight pea eye.Currently, the vet thinks he has arthritis as he seems to have trouble with one of his hind legs  He walks fine, just sometimes slightly drags his leg. We first noticed our piggie having this swaying of his head a couple months back.  We took him to our vet who pointed out he also has this eye movement, jerking from side to side, he called it nystagmus, possibly caused by some type of infection.  So we started a course of baytril 2 times a day and sulfa trim once a day.  We did this for two weeks and it seemed to have gone away.  Then about 1 1/2 weeks later it started up again, back to the vet, this time we tried just sulfa trim 2 times a day for 2 weeks.  After a week we didn't see any improvement so we went back to baytril / sulfa trim combo.  The vet suggested we try this for a month to see if it can get rid of the infection.  We give benebac an hour after each antibiotic  his appetite is still good and he is maintaining his weight.  The movement isn't constant but we still see it especially when he's not eating.  We have started cleaning his ears, they seem to have a bit of wax but no discharge. Does anyone have an idea what is going on?  are we doing things correctly?  We would like to do right by our precious adorable handsome guy.