[Gpdd] PETER GURNEY: please join us March 9th!

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 27 13:14:23 EST 2022

Scottie here! My buddy, Oliver, and I want to remind you of the Peter Gurney Memorial Candle Lighting on March 9th.

Mr. Gurney helped advance knowledge of guinea pigs and wrote books about their care. When he passed away in 2006, the Digest began holding a memorial in his honor and in honor of our other loved ones who have left us (human, furred, finned, and feathered). Oliver and I counted it up, and this makes the 17th year of remembrance. We do this on March 9th because it was Mr. Gurney's birthday.

We hope you'll join us in this real, not virtual, event. Please light a candle (traditional, electric, or virtual) in your time zone at 8 p.m. and leave it lit until 9 p.m. The lights will travel around the world, from Australia to Hawaii, with people in each time zone taking over at 8 p.m. their time.

We also hope you'll consider taking a photo of your remembrance. The photo might be of your guinea pig or pigs with a candle, you with a candle, a candle by itself, etc.

Each year we also compile a list of locations where candles were lit. After the event, please send your location to the GPDD or to Audrey or Cindy. You can view past pigtures and lists at gpdd.org. No names are associated with locations.

If you take a photo, please send it to Audrey at either PG_Memorial at gpdd.org or agbmcmd at yahoo.com. (Please note that there is an underscore between PG and Memorial.)

Anyone can participate, so feel free to tell your friends.

Oliver and I are also training my new friends, Coke and Fitzgerald, to help organize the memorial, so we are very lucky to have lots of help this year. Please join us to help the light travel around the world. Thank you!

Organizers Oliver and Scottie, new helpers Coke and Fitzgerald, and assistants Audrey and Cindy