[Gpdd] PETER GURNEY: March 9th is the big day!

bunny rabbit calliope996 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 4 15:35:40 EST 2022

Scottie reporting! It's just a few days before the annual Peter Gurney Memorial Candle Lighting, and we hope everyone will join in! Please note March 9th on your calendars and be sure to light a candle or candles at 8 p.m. in your time zone and leave it or them lit for an hour (more, if you like). As the lights pass from time zone to time zone, they move around the world.

The candles are a way to remember Peter Gurney, who promoted the health and well being of guinea pigs until his passing in 2006. We also use this special hour as remembrance of all of our other friends who have passed on, whatever their species.

In past years, we've had participants from both hemispheres and most continents. If you know of anyone who would be interested, do let them know. They might be friends from guinea-pig (or other animal) rescue groups, guinea-pig (or other animal) forums, and so on. They don't need to be members of the Digest or to have guinea pigs. All are welcome!

If you're new to the Digest or want to show others what past events have been like, please direct them to gpdd.org, where there are lists of locations and photos.

Should you take a photo the night of the event of your guinea pig with a candle (or similar photos -- feel free to use your imagination), please send it to PG_Memorial at gpdd.org.. (There is an underscore between PG and Memorial but no other underscore.)

Please also send in your location here at gpdd at gpdd.org or to Audrey or Cindy. When lists of locations are posted, no names are noted.

I, Scottie, am just two but this is my third year of joining in. It is Oliver's first year, and Coke and Fitzgerald's first year. We imagine some of our humans have been lighting candles for 17 years!

We hope you can join us.

Oliver and Scottie, newbies Coke and Fitzgerald, and assistants Audrey and Cindy