[Gpdd] HEALTH: Baby Piglets

Emma Silvester missus at emma-silvester.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 03:57:07 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,

I have only been a subscriber to this page for about a week and already
I can't imagine what I did without it! It is great to see so many
likeminded piggy people out there! I have 6 current piggies (Maud,
Myrtle, Basil, Fred, Ginger and Wilma) with more on the way (Fred and
Ginger the proud parents-to-be). I have kept and loved piggies for 8
years now and these are my second lot of piglets to be born. I have read
loads of info about them (Peter Gurney is a fantastic source, both in
book form and on the web. What he doesn't know about piggies isn't worth
knowing! He lives with over 70 in his apartment and knows each and every
one by name and likes/dislikes!) Anyway, GPs are very good mothers with
few problems occurring during birth. The one to look out for is the one
that someone mentioned in GPdd 96 when a GP still hasn't finished
delivering. Peter Gurney says that this is one case where you need to
get your GP to a vet asap as the stuck piglet has to be removed as soon
as possible.

With regards to the recently departed piggies (may they rest in peace) I
too have had a total of 3 GPs who have passed away from the same
symptoms. The first, Honky, lived with me and I spent so much time in
her company that I noticed the very first sign of the illness. I took
her straight to the vet and did all the things that everyone else has
mentioned (cuddles, syringe feeding, staying up all night) to no avail.
I just wanted to reassure the others out there that they did everything
they could. None of us could have known how fast this mystery illness
would take our babies away from us and at least they passed over knowing
how much they were loved.

Wheeps and squeaks to all,

Emma and all