[Gpdd] Health: GP operations

Stan Komorowski smk1947 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 12 22:23:39 EST 2003

I am sorry to hear about our GP losses after operations. I think people
should look at these operations a little more with the GPs in mind.

1. What is the operation for to make your GP better or is it to keep your
love one  around because you can not stand to lose him/her. Sometimes we do
it for the wrong reasons because we can not let go. GPs do not do well in
operations, too much stress. Make sure that the operation stress is worth
it. I would never do it to a 4 to 5 year old GP unless it is a simple one. I
could not put them through the pain without a real assurance success.

2. Talk to the VET. Understand what will happen, ask questions, find out how
many of these operations have they done, what success rate. What prognoses.
Find people you will be a reference. Take your time , do not feel panicked.
remember it is your little friend that has to go through it. Know what to do
after the operation, understand the problems faced after and be ready. You
should never be surprised at what you will find when you pick your GP up.

3. Make sure your VET knows what you expect. Not all Vets have all animals
welfare in mind, sometimes it is just money. BE CAREFUL make sure the
operation is really needed or is right for the situation.

Stan, Melissa, Cinnamon, Nutmeg and PIGZILLA the Great