[Gpdd] HEALTH: Bladder Infection

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Sun Sep 14 21:40:50 EDT 2003

It's been a while since I've had to post on one of my guinea pig's
behalf. Perhaps, if some remember from way back, I've been all too
experienced with UTIs and bladderstones and kidney problems. Recently,
I've been blessed with a healthy piggy, Phoebe the rescue pig.

She is three now. She's had reoccurring bladder infections. Well three
in the past year. I've been dealing with all the vets at my clinic,
however, I'm getting different opinions and I need to find out a little
on my own.

Two suspect she may have diabetes. Her urine sugar shows high in the
urine dipsticks. My regular vet and the texts say diabetes is rare in
guinea pigs and stress can lead to a high test so it isn't very valid.
Her eating and drinking patterns have not changed. She does have the
early onset of cataracts. Since before she was two.

She could also possibly have a stone. If she has a stone, I would like
to know what the current alternatives to surgery are. With my Wilbur we
used methigel which dissolved the stone but was very hard on her tummy.

Phoebe is now on a sulpha antibiotic. She wasn't feeling too well
tonight. She was quiet and a bit limp but after some critical care balls
(not so watered down critical care formed into a ball) and hay and
grass, she is much happier. Quiet but not lethargic and her appetite is
fine. I've also given her some watered down, unsweetened cranberry juice.

She's taken everything willingly, if not enthusiastically and actually
became demanding and pushy about her food.

She goes for X rays tomorrow morning.

Also, if anyone has experiences with diabetic piggies some treatment and
symptom notes would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Evelyn and Phoebe